Minimise your Perfume Collection

Ever since I reached the pre-teen age, I became obsessed with wearing perfume. Because wearing makeup wasn't the norm at that time, I opted to collecting perfumes instead. I am proud to say that yes, I have used up many perfumes in my time however, my collection still includes some tacky fragrances from that era.

What I currently own:
- Britney Spears 'Curious'
- Britney Spears 'Fantasy'
- Sex and the City 'Naked'
- Sex and the City 2 'Love'
- 'Daisy' by Marc Jacobs
- 'Dot' by Marc Jacobs
- 'Pretty' by Elizabeth Arden
- 'Olympea' by Paco Rabanne
- 'Love Spell' by Victoria Secret
- Harajuku Lovers in 'G'
- 'Nina' by Nina Ricci
- 'Rebelle' by Rihanna
- 'Black Star' by Avril Lavigne
- 'Flora' by Gucci (including one back-up because I love it)
- 'Heat' by Beyoncé
- 'Her' by fcuk
- Victoria Secret Body Mist in 'Coconut Passion'
- '3' by Ralph Lauren
- 'Play it Lovely' Playboy
- 'Play it Sexy Pin Up' Playboy
- 'Play it Sexy' Playboy
- Lady Gaga's 'Fame'

That is a whopping 23 perfumes! I'll list below the ones I really like:
- 'Dot' by Marc Jacobs
- 'Olympea' by Paco Rabanne
- 'Rebelle' by Rihanna
- 'Flora' by Gucci
- 'Heat' by Beyoncé
- Lady Gaga's 'Fame'
- 'Pretty' by Elizabeth Arden

It is crazy when you put it into perspective, that I only enjoy 7 of the 23 perfumes in my collection. And I feel that I am not alone when it comes to perfume hoarding. Despite having so many bottles in my collection already, I still long to own many more scents. And realistically, I will own more scents in the future but as of right now I really want to do something about the scents currently waiting to be used up.

Now, if you're investing your money into buying a perfume for yourself please do not just smell it once in the store and buy it on the spot. This also especially applies if you have tested several perfumes at the store already, because often you will become confused with all the scents you have already sprayed. A lot of places offer coffee beans for you to cleanse your sniffing palette, but here is my advice. Spray one perfume in different places. Spray some on your wrist, your arm, and on a piece of card they provide. Then go home and smell the card again. If you like it, go to the store another day and smell it there. If you are absolutely sure, then buy the bottle.

Sometimes you have to wait for a fragrance to truly oxidise. Most of the time, the fragrance will smell better once it has mixed with the air. Occasionally, once a fragrance oxidises it can smell completely different than what you originally thought its scent was.

Also, I would always recommend buying a small bottle of your new perfume instead of the larger version. Why? Because perfumes not only last for a very long time, but you will also know if you're truly in love with it if you use up the bottle quickly enough. Say however, it has been a year and your small bottle is still full it can mean one of two things. You either have too many perfumes to reach for it, or you just don't like it as much as you thought you would. If you don't like it, you are now not faced with the challenge of finishing a giant 100ml bottle.

With time, your fragrance may change in smell. Perfumes do not last forever. I would recommend keeping your perfumes away from direct sunlight and tossing them once they start to smell off.

Now here is the most important part of trying to minimise your perfume collection: don't feel obliged to keep all your perfumes if they are given as gifts. If you know that you love the scent, keep it. But most people purchase perfumes to give as gifts, and I for one always gift perfumes because they are an easy present to give. However, everyone has different scent preferences and you can't change that! So if you know that you don't like the scent or that you already have too many perfumes, give it to your friends or family. I would rather give a perfume away than dislike the fragrance and let it collect dust. Everyone's perfume preferences are vastly different. What I may love, you may hate.

A good idea, and one that I personally need to hop on board with is to purchase a perfume atomiser. I've seen some out there for a ridiculous price (Priceline sells it for $14.99 for two bottles, what a rip off!), but you could honestly just buy some off eBay for $5. What you can do is even mix several fragrances togther that you are trying to use up and easily travel with it.
$14.99 at Priceline, but it does
come with a funnel. But you can
just buy the ones where you spray into them from the bottom.
I think it is a really good idea, and it saves me from carefully packing perfumes in my backpacks or suitcases. Although they only hold around 5ml of perfume, it is the ease of access that will probably lead to me using it more often.


















Update: I actually was inspired by this idea and purchased my own off Ebay for $5. It is actually brilliant to keep in your bag as it takes up minimal space, and I actually brought mine to an event recently where it was able to fit into a tiny clutch, score!

Holds 5ml of perfume
Simple to use, just take off your perfume cap
and press to spray!


















I decided to mix a few of my perfumes in the perfume atomiser so that I can begin to use up my perfumes more efficiently. I would 100% reccommend buying one of these! I personally haven't seen any in stores that retail for this cheap (and that don't need a funnel) so I would definitely purchase this online. I just searched 'travel perfume atomiser' and ordered from a seller in Australia so that I could get my hands on it sooner.

Well guys that's about it for my post! I had fun writing this because it made me realise that I am holding on to too many bottles of perfume. I would love to read your comments so please let me know how many perfumes you have in your collection and what your most favourite scent is! Mine is 'Olympea' by Paco Rabanne.

Thanks for reading!

Amanda.S

Comments

  1. Hey guys!

    I just wanted to notify you all that I found a perfume atomiser at the Reject Shop for something around $3-$5! Don't buy the Priceline one (unless you want to) because you could be paying triple the amount for the same item.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts